Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lewes in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Delaware Breakwater East End Lighthouse

 
 
Delaware Breakwater East End Lighthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Nate Davidson, December 31, 2010
1. Delaware Breakwater East End Lighthouse Marker
Inscription. Located on the eastern end of the Delaware Breakwater, this brown conical structure was built in 1885. The tower is composed of four tiers of cast iron plates lined with two feet of brick. It is twenty-two feet in diameter at the base and is set upon a circular concrete foundation. When completed it was equipped with a fourth order Fresnel lens which showed a fixed white light, with a red sector facing seaward to warn mariners of the dangerous shoals off Cape Henlopen. The light's focal plane was sixty-one feet above sea level with a visibility of thirteen nautical miles. A steam powered Daboll fog trumpet was added in November 1885. The lighthouse served as the front light of the Delaware Breakwater Range from 1903 until 1918. It was automated on July 11, 1950. For a time during the 1960s and 1970s, the structure was used as a base of operations by the Pilots' Association of the Bay and River Delaware. The lighthouse was decommissioned in 1996. On February 5, 1999, the Delaware Breakwater East End Lighthouse was formally conveyed by the United States Government to the State of Delaware.
 
Erected 2004 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number SC-185.)
 
Location. 38° 46.933′ N, 75° 7.092′ W. Marker is
Delaware Breakwater East End Lighthouse image. Click for full size.
By Nate Davidson, December 31, 2010
2. Delaware Breakwater East End Lighthouse
in Lewes, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker can be reached from U.S. 9 north of Cape Henlopen Drive. Click for map. Located within the Cape May-Lewes Ferry Terminal. Marker is in this post office area: Lewes DE 19958, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Breakwaters (a few steps from this marker); Delaware Pilots (within shouting distance of this marker); Harbor of Refuge Lighthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Unknown Sailors' Cemetery (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Menhaden Fisheries (approx. 0.7 miles away); Lighthouses (approx. 0.7 miles away); German Submarine at Cape Henlopen (approx. 0.9 miles away); Quarantine Station (approx. 0.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Lewes.
 
Also see . . .
1. Delaware Breakwater East End Lighthouse. Life at the lighthouse was difficult. The tower was cramped. The exterior diameter measured only 22 feet at the base and 18 feet at the watch level. In addition, the heavy fog at the cape meant that the fog signal was constantly blaring. (Submitted on January 3, 2011.) 

2. Delaware Breakwater. During its first decade of operation, the breakwater lighthouse’s fog signal was typically in operation for an average of between 400 and 500 hours a year. However, for the last half of 1904 and first half of 1905 the signal was blasting for an amazing 645 hours. (Submitted on January 3, 2011.) 
 
Categories. Waterways & Vessels
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Nate Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland. This page has been viewed 538 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on , by Nate Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland.   2. submitted on , by Nate Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide area view of the marker and its surroundings. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement