Chattanooga in Hamilton County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
William (Uncle Bill) Lewis
William Lewis came to Chattanooga in 1837 when it was still called Ross' Landing. He continued to work and soon paid for his own freedom. In 1851 Lewis purchased the freedom of his mother, brother and sister. He operated a blacksmith shop at this location and became very prosperous during the civil war. His men forged the shackles for Andrews' Raiders after the famous locomotive chase from Big Shanty, Georgia, to Chattanooga, and his son, George, fitted them on each prisoner.
Erected 1990 by Mary Walker Historical and Educational Foundation.
Location. 35° 2.905′ N, 85° 18.566′ W. Marker is in Chattanooga, Tennessee, in Hamilton County. Marker is at the intersection of West 7th Street and Market Street (Tennessee Route 8), on the right when traveling west on West 7th Street. Click for map. This historical marker is affixed to the front southeast corner of a commercial building, just a few steps west of a state historical marker that also
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. William "Uncle Bill" Lewis (a few steps from this marker); Chattanooga Daily Rebel (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); G. W. Franklin (about 700 feet away); First Methodist Church (about 800 feet away); Abby Crawford Milton (about 800 feet away); Military History of Chattanooga (approx. 0.2 miles away); Site of Crutchfield House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Saint Paul's Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Chattanooga.
Categories. • African Americans • Industry & Commerce • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 593 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.