Goodsprings in Clark County, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)
The spring was artesian, promising adequate water for a mill and town if wells were drilled. Increasing mining activity in the 1860's and 1870's led to the formation of the Yellow Pine Mining District in 1882. In 1886 A.G. Campbell, Jonas Taylor and William Smith built the first permanent structure, a stone building still standing north of State Route 161. The 1893 discovery of the Keystone gold deposit brought many prospectors to the area. During the same time Sam Yount was operating a store in the stone building which stands south of State Route 161. On April 6, 1899 mail service was established and the Post Office changed the town's name to Goodsprings.
The Yellow Pine Mining Company, established in 1901, soon became the biggest lead and zinc mine in Nevada. In 1911 the mine built a narrow-gauge railroad connecting the mine to the mill in Goodsprings, four miles away, and continuing seven miles to the main line at Jean. The demand for minerals during WWI and the
Erected by Clark County.
Location. 35° 49.892′ N, 115° 26.115′ W. Marker is in Goodsprings, Nevada, in Clark County. Marker is on San Pedro Street, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is located at Goodsprings Park. Marker is at or near this postal address: 365 San Pedro Street, Jean NV 89019, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Goodsprings Mining District 1856 - 1957 (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Pioneer Saloon (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Elko Fire Bell (approx. 7 miles away); Jean, Nevada (approx. 7.2 miles away); The Last Spike The Last Spike (approx. 9.1 miles away); Old Spanish Trail (approx. 11.6 miles away); a different marker also named The Old Spanish Trail (approx. 13.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Goodsprings.
Categories. • Natural Resources • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 765 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.