“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dagsboro in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)

Prince George's Chapel

Prince George's Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Nate Davidson, March 5, 2010
1. Prince George's Chapel Marker
Inscription. Before the settlement of the boundary dispute between Delaware and Maryland, this area was considered to lie in Maryland. On July 5, 1755, responding to the request of members of the Church of England residing in the upper portion of Worcester Parish, the Maryland Assembly enacted legislation authorizing the purchase of land and construction of a "Chapel of Ease" to serve their spiritual needs. A two acre tract at this location was then purchased from Walter Evans. On June 30, 1757, the newly-completed chapel was formally received from the builders by the vestry of Worcester Parish. It was named to honor the English prince who would become King George III. By 1850 the condition of the chapel had deteriorated, and services were discontinued. Efforts to restore the church to active use were unsuccessful. Annual services were held here for a time, but for many years the building was maintained solely as a historic site by the Episcopal Diocese of Delaware. In 1928 the Sussex County Laymen's League funded the complete restoration of the old church, and a rededication service was held here on June 30, 1929. At the urging of numerous persons concerned about the preservation of the structure, the State of Delaware received ownership of the property in 1967. Major renovations were subsequently undertaken with funding provided by the State and
Marker on Church image. Click for full size.
By Nate Davidson, March 5, 2010
2. Marker on Church
National Park Service. Prince George's Chapel was listed in the National Register of Historic Places on March 24, 1971. Of particular note is the grave of General John Dagworthy, an officer in the French & Indian and Revolutionary wars who was an early and ardent supporter of the church, and for whom this community is named.
Erected 1998 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number SC-118.)
Location. 38° 32.9′ N, 75° 14.333′ W. Marker is in Dagsboro, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Chapel Lane and Vines Creek Road. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dagsboro DE 19939, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dagsboro (approx. 0.3 miles away); Antioch Camp Meeting (approx. 1.2 miles away); Baltimore Hundred (approx. 2 miles away); Frankford United Methodist Church (approx. 2.1 miles away); Dickerson Chapel A.M.E. Church (approx. 2.7 miles away); Hickory Hill Methodist Church (approx. 3.6 miles away); Town of Millsboro (approx. 3.9 miles away); Grace United Methodist Church (approx. 4 miles away).
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches, Etc.Colonial EraWar, US Revolutionary
Gen. John Dagworthy (1721-1784) image. Click for full size.
By Nate Davidson, March 5, 2010
3. Gen. John Dagworthy (1721-1784)
A gallant soldier of three wars; ever faithful to Church and State. Erected by the State of Delaware 1908.
Prince George's Chapel image. Click for full size.
By Nate Davidson, March 5, 2010
4. Prince George's Chapel
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Nate Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland. This page has been viewed 541 times since then and 61 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Nate Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement