Grand Canyon National Park in Coconino County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
John G. Verkamp rented a tent from the Bright Angel Hotel in 1898 and began selling curios and Indian crafts for Babbitt Brothers' Trading Company. After several slow weeks he closed and sold his stock to the hotel. But he sensed Grand Canyon's potential and returned in 1905, building Verkamp's Curios here. The Verkamp family still owns and runs the business, now a Grand Canyon landmark.
Erected by National Park Service.
Location. 36° 3.478′ N, 112° 8.146′ W. Marker is in Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona, in Coconino County. Click for map. Marker is about 50 feet north of the Verkamp's building, off Village Loop Drive, in Grand Canyon Village. Marker is in this post office area: Grand Canyon AZ 86023, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hopi House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Hopi House (about 400 feet away); El Tovar Hotel (about 400 feet away); Santa Fe Depot (about 500 feet away); CCC Legacy (approx. 0.2 miles away); Trans-Canyon Telephone Line (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bright Angel Lodge (approx. ¼ mile away); Lookout Studio (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Grand Canyon National Park.
Regarding Verkamp's Curios.
Also see . . . Verkamp's Visitor Center. (Submitted on January 8, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 515 times since then and 80 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.