“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Red Boiling Springs in Macon County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)

Red Boiling Springs

Enlistment Center and Civil War Hospital

Red Boiling Springs Civil War Marker image. Click for full size.
By Chad Comer
1. Red Boiling Springs Civil War Marker
Inscription. Red Boiling Springs has long been a landmark in Macon County. It was a central crossroads for both Federal and Confederate forces during the Civil War.

The war came home for local residents on September 24, 1861, when Capts. Ridley R. West and Joseph L. Bryant organized Co. H, 28th Tennessee Infantry (CS) at the Webb (later the Dedman) Hotel. Webb's Hotel was the only one at the springs, but it was large enough to accommodate the soldiers and officers who passed through the village.

On October 22, 1861, Cols. John W. Head and James J. Turner organized the 30th Tennessee Infantry regiment here. Within months, however, many recruits found themselves in a Union prison, after the Confederate defeat and surrender at Fort Donelson.

Between 1861 and 1864, troops from both sides traversing the rugged Cumberland highlands stopped here, with the sick and wounded remaining for treatment. Dr. James Carson Weir, a Minnesota native who lived in neighboring Jackson County, established a hospital here when Union occupation forces appointed him surgeon.

In September 1862, however, when Gen. Braxton Bragg's army marched this way during his Kentucky invasion, Weir served the Confederates. Bragg wrote from here on September 18, "The troops are in good tone and condition; somewhat foot-sore and tired, but cheerful. They have submitted most heroically to privations and hardships and have maintained their reputation for discipline."

When the Federals reoccupied the springs, they took Weir prisoner but released him when he proved his Union sympathies. After the war, Red Boiling Springs became one of Tennessee's most prominent mineral springs resorts.
Erected by Tennessee Civil War Trails.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Tennessee Civil War Trails marker series.
Location. 36° 31.817′ N, 85° 50.672′ W. Marker is in Red Boiling Springs, Tennessee, in Macon County. Marker is on East Main Street (State Highway 151), on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Located in the Red Boiling Springs Park near the historic hotels. Marker is in this post office area: Red Boiling Springs TN 37150, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Confederate Enlistment Station (here, next to this marker); Site of Civil War Hospital (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Red Boiling Springs (within shouting distance of this marker); The Cumberland Trace (approx. mile away); Gibbs Crossroads (approx. 6 miles away); Gamaliel (approx. 8.1 miles away in Kentucky); Gamaliel Cemetery (approx. 8.1 miles away in Kentucky); Woodmore Hotel (approx. 10.1 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Red Boiling Springs.
Categories. War, US Civil
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Chad Comer of Gamaliel, Kentucky. This page has been viewed 539 times since then and 47 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by Chad Comer of Gamaliel, Kentucky. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Exact location of marker. • • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement