“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Glasgow in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)

Aiken's Tavern Historic District

Aiken's Tavern Historic District Marker image. Click for full size.
By Nate Davidson, May 21, 2009
1. Aiken's Tavern Historic District Marker
Inscription. In the years prior to the Revolutionary War, John Aiken commenced the operation of a tavern and storehouse at this location near the intersection of two of the major roadways of the Delmarva Peninsula. Aided by their proximity to this important crossroads, Aiken's businesses prospered and a small village was established as a result. Variously known as Aiken's Tavern, or Aiken Town, the community became known as Glasgow in the early 19th century. In 1977, the Aiken's Tavern Historic District was listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Included are several properties with links to the early history and development of Glasgow. Of particular note is the Pencader Presbyterian Church, which was established by Welsh settlers in the early 18th century. The present church building was built in 1852. Also included in the District is The Manse, the former Presbyterian parsonage, constructed circa 1856. Opposite the church is the Middleton House and Store, built by merchant Robert Middleton in the late 1700s. The Aiken's Tavern Historic District also includes the cemetery and former site of Glasgow Methodist Church and Mechanics Row, a group of connected dwellings that were constructed circa 1800 as homes for local tradesmen.
Erected 2004 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number NC-142.)
Location. 39° 36.45′ N, 75° 44.75′ W. Marker is in Glasgow, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on Glasgow Avenue 0.1 miles north of U.S. 40. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Newark DE 19702, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pencader Presbyterian Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Iron Hill School #112-C (approx. 1.8 miles away); a different marker also named Iron Hill School #112-C (approx. 1.8 miles away); Washington's Reconnaissance (approx. 1.8 miles away); British Position (approx. 1.8 miles away); Battle of Cooch's Bridge (approx. 2.3 miles away); Old Post Road (approx. 2.4 miles away in Maryland); Iron Hill School #112C (approx. 2.4 miles away).
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches, Etc.Colonial EraSettlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Nate Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland. This page has been viewed 833 times since then and 100 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by Nate Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement