Downtown in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Site of Rhodes Tavern
Built in 1799, in the hope that the new capital would become a great city.
Opened as a tavern and inn by William Rhodes, 1801.
Washington's first 'town hall,' where White House architect James Hoban and other citizens met to petition Congress for representation and localy elected government, 1801.
Polling place in first city council election, 1802.
Early boarding house used by Members of Congress, 1807 - 1814.
Spared the torch during the British burning of Washington, 1814.
First home of the Bank of the Metropolis, 1814 - 1836, and of Riggs Bank, 1840 - 1845.
Washington Stock Exchange, 1881 - 1884.
National Press Club, 1909 - 1914; visited by Presidents Theodore Roosevelt, William Howared Taft; and Woodrow Wilson.
Witness to every inaugural parade from Thomas Jefferson's in 1805 until Ronald Reagan's in 1981.
Ballot initiative to preserve the building approved by Washington citizens, 1983. Razed, 1984.
This marker placed by the Rhodes Tavern - D.C. Heritage Society, June 7, 1999, with the help of pennies collected by D.C. public school students.
[Second Panel - Caption beneath the bronze relief]:
Site of Washington, D.C.'s first election, June 7, 1801. This marker
Erected 1999 by Rhodes Tavern - D.C. Heritage Society.
Location. 38° 53.839′ N, 77° 2.002′ W. Marker is in Downtown, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is at the intersection of F Street, NW and 15th Street, NW, on the right when traveling west on F Street, NW. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Washington DC 20004, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Clara Barton 1821 - 1912 (a few steps from this marker); Edgar Allen 1862 - 1937 (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Ethel Percy Andrus 1884 - 1967 (within shouting distance of this marker); Paul Harris 1868 - 1947 (within shouting distance of this marker); Millard and Linda Fuller (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. George Edmund Haynes 1880 - 1960 and Ruth Standish Baldwin 1863 - 1934 (within shouting distance of this marker); Ernest K. Coulter 1871 - 1952 (within shouting distance of this marker); Frederick Douglass 1817 - 1895 (within shouting distance of this marker).
More about this marker. . . . Oliver T. Carr purchased most of the block on which Rhodes Tavern sat in order to redevelop the area.
Located less than a block from the White House at 15 and F Sts NW, Carr planned to tear it down to build new offices and retail shops. A seven year protracted legal battle then began between preservationists trying to stop Carr from demolishing the building. An initiative was passed by the citizens of Washington to preserve the building in 1983, but Carr had the building razed one night in 1984. . . .
Extracted from http://www.gwu.edu/gelman/spec/ead/ms2084.xml.
Categories. • Landmarks • Notable Persons • Politics • War of 1812 •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 3,122 times since then. Last updated on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 2, 3. submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 4, 5. submitted on , by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.