Batavia in Genesee County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
of educating blind students in
Batavia at the New York State
School for the Blind - First Opened
in September of 1868
Erected 1969 by Batavia City Council.
Location. 43° 0.295′ N, 78° 11.108′ W. Marker is in Batavia, New York, in Genesee County. Marker is on Richmond Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Batavia NY 14020, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Batavia (approx. half a mile away); Capt. Charles F. Rand (approx. half a mile away); Paolo Busti Monument (approx. half a mile away); In Memory of the Soldiers Sailors and Marines of Genesee County (approx. half a mile away); Genesee County Courthouse (approx. half a mile away); Genesee County (approx. half a mile away); The Batavia Club (approx. half a mile away); Cary House Site (approx. 0.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Batavia.
Also see . . . History of the New York State School for the Blind. The school opened on September 2, 1868. Dr. Asa D. Lord welcomed the first 17 students to the school. Sixty-five students were (Submitted on January 11, 2011.)
Categories. • Education •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Patrick Weissend of Corfu, New Yok. This page has been viewed 279 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Patrick Weissend of Corfu, New Yok. 2. submitted on . • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Wide area view of the marker and its surroundings. • Photos of the school buildings. • Can you help?