Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Smyrna in Kent County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Site of Green Pottery

 
 
Site of Green Pottery Marker image. Click for full size.
By Nate Davidson, December 30, 2010
1. Site of Green Pottery Marker
Inscription. In 1764, Thomas Green sold a one-quarter acre lot at this location to his grandson, Charles Green. Some time thereafter, Charles established a facility for the manufacturing of redware pottery on this site. The business is known to have been in operation by the 1780s. Redware is made from clay with high amounts of iron oxide, giving a brick red color to the finished product. Archaeological evidence indicates that the producers of this pottery included cups, mugs, bowls, plates, pitchers, jugs, bottles, milk, pans, butter pots, and chamber pots, some decorated with trailed slip. Upon the death of Charles Green in 1809, responsibility for conducting the business passed to his son William Green, who continued to manufacture pottery here until circa 1817. Between 1817-1822, William's brother Daniel D. Green established a pottery nearby, on the opposite side of North Main Street. After Daniel's death in 1826, the Kent County Orphans Court hired potter Abraham Ritchie to continue the operation of the business to generate income for Daniel's widow and children. The pottery was closed when descendants sold the land in 1840.
 
Erected 2003 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number KC-84.)
 
Location. 39° 18.1′ N, 75° 36.45′ 
Site of Green Pottery image. Click for full size.
By Nate Davidson, December 30, 2010
2. Site of Green Pottery
The site of the pottery was directly next to the John Cummins house, shown on the left of this picture.
W. Marker is in Smyrna, Delaware, in Kent County. Marker can be reached from N. Main Street just from Mt. Vernon Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Smyrna DE 19977, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The John Cummins Mansion (within shouting distance of this marker); The Delaware House (within shouting distance of this marker); The Gray Box Chateau (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Home of Allen McLane (about 500 feet away); The Barracks (about 600 feet away); Site of Old Asbury Methodist Church (about 700 feet away); Smyrna Opera House and Old Town Hall (approx. 0.2 miles away); "First in the World" (approx. mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Smyrna.
 
Categories. Colonial EraIndustry & Commerce
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Nate Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland. This page has been viewed 697 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Nate Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement