Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Henrico in Henrico County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Henrico County

Virginia’s Second Settlement

 
 
Henrico County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, January 13, 2011
1. Henrico County Marker
Inscription. In 1611, Sir Thomas Dale founded the Citie of Henricus, the second settlement in the Colony of Virginia which later became Henrico County. Henrico, named for Henry Frederick, Prince of Wales and son of King James I, became one of the original eight shires of Virginia in 1634. The county originally included land on both sides of the James River from Charles City County west to the Blue Ridge Mountains. It was later divided into ten additional counties and three cities.

In 1934, exactly 300 years after becoming one of the original shires, Henrico became the first county in Virginia to adopt the county manager form of government. That year, the Board of Supervisors appointed Willard F. Day County Manager. Since then, the Board of Supervisors has been responsible for policy making while the County Manager has been responsible for the day-to-day operations of county services.
 
Erected 1997 by County of Henrico Division of Recreation and Parks.
 
Location. 37° 37.725′ N, 77° 31.032′ W. Marker is in Henrico, Virginia, in Henrico County. Marker can be reached from Prince Henry Drive near East Parham Road. Click for map. This panel is located outside of the Court Building at the Henrico Government Center.
The original Henrico Shire in Virginia. image. Click for full size.
2. The original Henrico Shire in Virginia.
Marker is at or near this postal address: 4301 East Parham Road, Henrico VA 23228, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The Early Courthouses in Varina (here, next to this marker); The Courthouse Today (here, next to this marker); The Courthouses in Richmond (here, next to this marker); Laurel Historic District (approx. 1.1 miles away); Virginia Home for Boys (approx. 1.4 miles away); Bethlehem Baptist Church (approx. 1.6 miles away); Outer Defenses (approx. 1.8 miles away); Skipwith Academy (approx. 2.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Henrico.
 
More about this marker. On the upper left is a portrait of "Henry Frederick, Prince of Wales, as a young man, ca. 1600. Thomas Dale named Henricus in his honor, later to be known as Henrico County." Library of Virginia

In the center is a painting with the caption, "Sir Thomas Dale led the expedition that established the Virginia Company’s second settlement." Virginia Museum of Fine Arts

On the right is a map with the caption, "The original 17th century settlement was surrounded by a fortification at Dutch Gap. The colony expanded as plantations and outlying settlements were established." A second map carries
Courthouse Interpretive Plaza image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, January 13, 2011
3. Courthouse Interpretive Plaza
the caption, "In 1634, the English authorities designated Henrico as a shire. At this time, Henrico boundaries extended along the James River from its junction with the Appomattox River to the Blue Ridge Mountains. It was later divided into the above ten additional counties and three cities."
 
Also see . . .  Henrico County History. (Submitted on January 14, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
 
Categories. Colonial EraExplorationSettlements & Settlers
 
Henrico County Courts Building image. Click for full size.
By Bernard Fisher, January 13, 2011
4. Henrico County Courts Building
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 617 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement