“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Gretna in Sarpy County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)


Melia Marker image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Light, July 16, 2007
1. Melia Marker
Inscription. The village of Melia grew up around a Burlington Railroad station established just north of here in 1902. The station, which served as a cattle shipping point, was named for John J. Melia, on whose land it was located. In 1903, John J. Melia opened a grocery and general store and Tom Coleman built an elevator. The next year Alan Woods built a hardware store and T.W. Langdon opened a hotel and bar. A blacksmith shop and livery stable came later. Melia had a post office from 1905 to 1910.

When the Omaha, Lincoln, and Denver (O.L.D.) highway was designated about 1913, the route passed through Melia and the village seemed likely to grow. U.S. Highway 6, the successor to the O.L.D., bypassed Melia. Although the village has disappeared, the name is perpetuated at this rest area, which is known as Melia Hill.
Erected by Nebraska Department of Roads & Nebraska State Historical Society.
Location. 41° 5.065′ N, 96° 16.526′ W. Marker is near Gretna, Nebraska, in Sarpy County. Marker can be reached from Interstate 80 at milepost 431, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Marker is in the Melia Hill Rest Area. Marker is in this post office area: Gretna NE 68028, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are
Interstate 50 Years image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Light, July 16, 2007
2. Interstate 50 Years
In Appreciation of those who dedicated their lives to designing, building, maintainng and patrolling our Interstate System, so that all motorist may enjoy safe and efficient mobility. AAA Nebraska Monument Dedicated on June 22, 2006 in celebration of the 50th Anniversary of the Interstate System. State of Nebraska.
within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Native Americans in the Lower Platte Valley (a few steps from this marker); The Ox-Bow Trail (approx. 5.3 miles away); In Honor Of John McBride Belnap (approx. 5.6 miles away); Platte River (approx. 6.1 miles away); The Armour and Company Icehouse (approx. 8.4 miles away); Right Reverend Monsignor Edward J. Flanagan (approx. 14.3 miles away); Boys Town Veterans Memorial (approx. 14.3 miles away); Msgr. Edward Joseph Flanagan (approx. 14.3 miles away).
Categories. LandmarksSettlements & Settlers
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana. This page has been viewed 1,640 times since then and 72 times this year. Last updated on , by James R. Kuntz of Warrenton, Missouri. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Christopher Light of Valparaiso, Indiana. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement