Arlington in Arlington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Defenses of Washington
Here is what is left of Fort Richardson, a detached redoubt constructed in September, 1861, to cover the left flank of the newly built Arlington defense line, It was named for General Israel B. Richardson, whose division was then deployed to defend against attack by way of Columbia Turnpike. It had a perimeter of 316 yards and emplacements for 15 guns.
Erected 1965 by Arlington County, Virginia. (Marker Number 16.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Defenses of Washington marker series.
Location. 38° 51.464′ N, 77° 4.67′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Virginia, in Arlington County. Marker can be reached from 18th Street South. Click for map. The marker is located along the private Army Navy Country Club Access road alongside the remnants of Fort Richardson's parapets and ditches. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2400 18th Street South, Arlington VA 22204, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Harry W. Gray House (approx. half a mile away); Fort Berry (approx. 0.6 miles away); Mt. Zion Baptist Church Macedonia Baptist Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); Site of Arlington Chapel (approx. 0.7 miles away); Drew School (approx. ¾ mile away); Travers Family Graveyard (approx. 0.8 miles away); Hunter's Crossroads (approx. 0.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Arlington.
More about this marker. In the center of the marker is a map of the Washington Defenses, with a red (weathered) arrow pointing out the location of Fort Richardson.
Categories. • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on . This page has been viewed 1,052 times since then and 92 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on . • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.