Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Stafford in Stafford County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Island Ownership

 
 
Island Ownership Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., November 27, 2010
1. Island Ownership Marker
Inscription. In 1647, Giles Brent established the first English settlement in this area along Aquia Creek. Nearly 50 years later, George Brent, Giles Brentís nephew, became the islandís first documented owner. George purchased “Öa small tongue or neck or Island of Land with small point of marshÖ” in 1694. The property remained in he Brent family for almost 100 years, during which time is was used as a private quarry.

In 1791, the property was purchased by the federal government, which bought all but one acre. Tha one-acre panel had been sold previously in 1786 to Robert Steuart, a stone mason from Baltimore, Maryland. Steuart delineated his parcel with four stone boundary markers, the largest of which still remains and is clearly marked with his initials, “R.S.” It is located nearby this sign.

Down the trail there is a large pit, lined with cut stone, which measures approximately 50 feet by 150 feet. Its purpose is currently unknown. However, due to its proximity to the quarry, the pit was likely connected to the quarrying operations.
 
Erected by Tourism and Parks, Recreation & Community Facilities, Stafford County, Virginia.
 
Location. 38° 27.006′ N, 77° 22.855′ W. Marker is
Island Ownership Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., November 27, 2010
2. Island Ownership Marker
in Stafford, Virginia, in Stafford County. Marker can be reached from Coal Landing Road (County Road 631). Click for map. Marker is along a scenic trail, with parking available off Coal Landing Road. Marker is in this post office area: Stafford VA 22554, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Quarrying the Stone (within shouting distance of this marker); Site Selection / Architectural Features (within shouting distance of this marker); Transporting the Stone (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Native American Presence (about 600 feet away); Government Island (approx. 0.4 miles away); a different marker also named Government Island (approx. 0.4 miles away); Mary Kittamaquund (approx. 1.2 miles away); Peytonís Ordinary (approx. 1.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Stafford.
 
More about this marker. This marker is part of the Potomac Heritage National Scenic Trail.
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
Island Ownership Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., November 27, 2010
3. Island Ownership Marker
Robert Steuart's initials, “R.S.” can be seen on the stone immediately behind the marker.
Picture featured on th Island Ownership Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., November 27, 2010
4. Picture featured on th Island Ownership Marker
Caption reads: "Stafford County on the Hermann Map, 1673."
Island Ownership Marker image. Click for full size.
By Kevin W., November 27, 2010
5. Island Ownership Marker
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 439 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement