Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
East Hickory in Forest County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Lawunakhannek

 
 
Lawunakhannek Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, September 3, 2012
1. Lawunakhannek Marker
Inscription. Name of Indian mission near here, at which the first Protestant church building west of the Allegheny Mountains was built by Zeisberger in 1769. Term is Delaware word meaning "northerly stream place".
 
Erected 1947 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
 
Location. 41° 35.186′ N, 79° 24.232′ W. Marker is in East Hickory, Pennsylvania, in Forest County. Marker is on U.S. 62 0.1 miles north of David Zeisberger Highway (Pennsylvania Route 666), on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: East Hickory PA 16321, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Goschgoschink (approx. 1.3 miles away); Hickory Town (approx. 2.1 miles away); Indian Paths (approx. 3.1 miles away); Howard Zahniser (approx. 5.1 miles away); Damascus (approx. 6 miles away but has been reported missing); The Grandin Well (approx. 6.3 miles away); Forest County (approx. 6.8 miles away); Refugee Towns (approx. 8.4 miles away).
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.Native AmericansSettlements & Settlers
 
Lawunakhannek Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Wintermantel, September 3, 2012
2. Lawunakhannek Marker
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 366 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement