Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fort Knox in Hardin County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
 

Main Post Chapel

Historic Fort Knox

 
 
Main Post Chapel Marker image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, April 8, 2010
1. Main Post Chapel Marker
Inscription. Formerly Saint Patrick's parish church, erected in 1899 by the Stithton Catholic community originally the Saint Patrick's church was located at the post cemetery and recorded its first baptism in 1831. When the government purchased the town of Stithton in 1918 for the building of Camp Knox, the majority of the Catholic community joined the Vine Grove St. Brigid's parish. In 1920, the church was concerted to an auditorium for the post and used for this purpose until 1938 when it was restored as the main post chapel. Housed in the steeple is the original bell inscribed "St. Patrick's church, Stithton, Kentucky 1904." The church building is constructed of handmade bricks and handcut foundation stones. This is one of the few remaining buildings from the former town of Stithton, KY.
 
Erected by USA Armor Center.
 
Location. 37° 53.52′ N, 85° 57.292′ W. Marker is in Fort Knox, Kentucky, in Hardin County. Marker is at the intersection of Dixie St and Spearhead Division Ave, on the right when traveling north on Dixie St. Click for map. Located on the grounds of the Main Post Chapel approximately 230 feet Northeast of the intersection. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Knox KY 40121, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers
Main Post Chapel image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, April 8, 2010
2. Main Post Chapel
are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Visitor's House (approx. half a mile away); Post Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away); St. Patrick's Cemetery (approx. 0.7 miles away); Camp Knox (approx. 0.9 miles away); LST Building (approx. 1.1 miles away); The Armored Force School (approx. 1.1 miles away); Rineyville Named (approx. 9.9 miles away); The Cannonball (approx. 14.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Fort Knox.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
 
Categories. Churches, Etc.GovernmentMilitarySettlements & Settlers
 
Main Post Chapel image. Click for full size.
By Lee Hattabaugh, April 8, 2010
3. Main Post Chapel
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,024 times since then and 6 times this year. Last updated on , by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement