Munfordville in Hart County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
1798 - 1906
Amos maintained a ferry between his landings for public transport, and "Amos' Ferry" became a familiar landmark, mentioned in court records as early as 1798. The ferry operated until the 1860s, when Union armies built pontoon bridges that made the ferry unnecessary. Operations resumed after the war, but with the construction of the L&N Turnpike bridge in 1906, the ferry made its last crossing.
Erected by City of Munfordville.
Location. 37° 16.082′ N, 85° 53.21′ W. Marker is in Munfordville, Kentucky, in Hart County. Marker can be reached from River Road east of Old Street, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Part of a series of markers in Thelma Stovall Park highlighting the history of Munfordville, this marker is situated on the walking track that circles the park. Marker is in this post office area: Munfordville KY 42765, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Pontooniers! (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Return of the Natives (about 500 feet away); The Great Buffalo Crossing (about 500 feet away); L&N Railroad Bridge (about 700 feet away); The L&N Turnpike (about 700 feet away); Living on the Land (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Pump Tower (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Munford Inn (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Munfordville.
Categories. • Bridges & Viaducts • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 623 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.