Shirleysburg in Huntingdon County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
of the Province of Pennsylvania
in the French and Indian Wars
stood on this knoll,
the noted Indian trader and agent
here in 1753
at the site of Aughwick Indian Town
he had located his trading post
September 3-6, 1754
the noted Indian interpreter and agent
had held a conference with
the great Iroquoian half king
and other chiefs of the
Shawnee and Delaware Indians
Marked by the Pennsylvania Historical Commission and the Society of Pennsylvania Women in New York, 1926.
Erected 1926 by Pennsylvania Historical Commission and the Society of Pennsylvania Women in New York.
Location. 40° 18.074′ N, 77° 52.449′ W. Marker is in Shirleysburg, Pennsylvania, in Huntingdon County. Marker is on Croghan Pike (U.S. 522) just south of Pump Station Road, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Shirleysburg PA 17260, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Fort Shirley Bedford Furnace (approx. 4.3 miles away); East Broad Top Railroad (approx. 4.4 miles away); Admiral Wm Sims (approx. 4.6 miles away); Juniata Iron (approx. 4.6 miles away); Mount Union Area Veterans Memorial (approx. 5.6 miles away); Stone House (approx. 5.9 miles away); Site of National Steam Grist Mill (approx. 6 miles away).
Additional keywords. Fort Shirley Conrad Weiser George Croghan Tanacharisson
Categories. • Forts, Castles • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • War, French and Indian •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Christopher Coleman of Columbus, Ohio. This page has been viewed 409 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. 2, 3. submitted on , by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.