Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Sylvester in Worth County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Worth County

 
 
Worth County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 23, 2011
1. Worth County Marker
Inscription. This County created by Act of the Legislature Dec. 20, 1853 is named for Maj. Gen. Wm. J. Worth of Mexican War fame under whose command served Maj. William A. Harris, a leader in the organization of the new County. Among the first County Officers were: Sheriff James G. Brown, Clerk of Superior & Inferior Courts Wm. A. Johnston, Ordinary James M. Ford, Tax Receiver Jeremiah Spring, Tax Collector A. B. Mattox, Surveyor Thos. B. Arline, Coroner Jas. A. Olliver, State Senator Wm. A. Harris and State Representative M. Simmons.
 
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 159-1.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 31° 31.663′ N, 83° 50.143′ W. Marker is in Sylvester, Georgia, in Worth County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street (Georgia Route 33) and East Kelly Street, on the right when traveling south on North Main Street. Click for map. The marker stands on the lawn of the Worth County Courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 North Main Street, Sylvester GA 31791, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 17 miles of this marker, measured
Worth County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 23, 2011
2. Worth County Marker
as the crow flies. 1703-04 Thigpen Trail 1929 (approx. 3.8 miles away); Thigpen Trail (approx. 3.9 miles away); Turner County (approx. 16.5 miles away).
 
Categories. Political Subdivisions
 
Worth County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 23, 2011
3. Worth County Marker
The courthouse is in the background, behind the tree.
Worth County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 23, 2011
4. Worth County Marker
The marker can just be seen at the left of the Worth County courthouse. The courthouse was built in 1906, burned by arsonists in 1982, and rebuilt.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 407 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement