“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Arab in Marshall County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)

First Baptist Church

First Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Judith Barber, February 6, 2011
1. First Baptist Church Marker
Inscription. Founded on September 5, 1912, by 40 charter members, First Baptist Church is the second oldest church located within Arabís original town limits of one square mile. The church was first located just off South Main Street on Fry Gap Road. The Rev. M.K. Taylor, who had previously served for many years at nearby Shoal Creek Baptist Church, was the first pastor. Citizens instrumental in the establishment of First Baptist Church included W.P. “Squire” Marsh and R.J. Riddle, both prominent early settlers and mayors of Arab. When the former building was damaged by a tornado in 1923, the present site was purchased from J.M. Cotton for $300, and a new frame church was erected. The congregation replaced it with a substantial brick church in 1948 that served until 1989, when the present sanctuary was finished.
Erected 2008 by Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 34° 19.384′ N, 86° 29.771′ W. Marker is in Arab, Alabama, in Marshall County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street and Guntersville Road (Alabama Route 69), on the right when traveling north on North Main Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 502 N Main St, Arab AL 35016, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers
First Baptist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Judith Barber, February 5, 2011
2. First Baptist Church Marker
In front of the church.
are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Arab High School (approx. 0.2 miles away); 1883 Methodist Church Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away); Farmer's Exchange (approx. 0.4 miles away); Stephen Tuttle Thompson (approx. 0.4 miles away); First United Methodist Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); Bear Meat Cabin Road (approx. 1.3 miles away); Gilliam Springs Baptist Church (approx. 1.3 miles away); Brashier's Chapel Cemetery (approx. 2.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Arab.
Also see . . .  Arab First Baptist Church. (Submitted on February 8, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. Churches, Etc.
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Judith Barber of Marietta, Georgia. This page has been viewed 530 times since then and 63 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Judith Barber of Marietta, Georgia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement