Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Presque Isle in Presque Isle County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Old Presque Isle Lighthouse

 
 
Old Presque Isle Lighthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jenn Wintermantel, November 28, 2004
1. Old Presque Isle Lighthouse Marker
Inscription. Presque Isle Harbor is one of Lake Huron's safest harbors of refuge. Its name comes from this peninsula which, translating from the French, is "almost and island." Indians and Frenchmen portaged across the peninsula to avoid several miles of open lake. When vessels came to the harbor in increasing numbers, Congress in 1838 appropriated $5,000 for a lighthouse. Jeremiah Moors of Detroit in 1840 completed this lighthouse, which today is one of the oldest surviving lighthouses on the Great Lakes. Pat Garrity, the last keeper of this lighthouse, was appointed by President Lincoln. Four of Garrity's children, raised in the keepers house, became lighthouse keepers. In 1870, a new lighthouse to the north was completed along with two range lights for the entrance to the harbor.
 
Erected 1965 by Michigan Historical Commission. (Marker Number L39.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Michigan Historical Commission marker series.
 
Location. 45° 20.517′ N, 83° 28.683′ W. Marker is in Presque Isle, Michigan, in Presque Isle County. Marker can be reached from East Grand Lake Road one mile north of County Road 638. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Presque Isle MI 49777, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.
Old Presque Isle Lighthouse image. Click for full size.
By Jenn Wintermantel, November 28, 2004
2. Old Presque Isle Lighthouse
At least 3 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Burnham's Landing (approx. 0.9 miles away); Presque Isle Light Station (approx. 1.2 miles away); Presque Isle Lodge (approx. 2.8 miles away).
 
Also see . . .
1. Seeing the Light - Old Presque Isle Light. A detailed history of original light house, built in 1840 which includes vintage photos. (Submitted on February 3, 2011.) 

2. Seeing the Light - New Presque Isle Light. Built in 1870, this "new" light replaced the original 1840 lighthouse. (Submitted on February 3, 2011.) 
 
Categories. Man-Made FeaturesWaterways & Vessels
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 539 times since then and 6 times this year. Last updated on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement