Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Valdosta in Lowndes County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Lowndes County

 
 
Lowndes County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 23, 2011
1. Lowndes County Marker
Inscription. Lowndes County was created by an act of the Georgia Legislature December 23, 1825, from lands previously in Irwin County. It was named for William J. Lowndes, a South Carolina statesman. The first count officers commissioned May 29, 1826, were Henry Blair, Clerk of the Superior Court; William Smith, Ordinary; Norman Campbell, Tax Collector; William Hancock, Sheriff; Malachi Monk, Coroner and Samuel M. Clyatt, Surveyor. The first state senator was William A. Knight and the first representative was Jonathan Knight for Lowndes County.

Lowndes County has had three county seats: Franklinville, Lowndesville (later changed to Troupville) and Valdosta.
 
Erected 1978 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 092-1.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 30° 49.95′ N, 83° 16.717′ W. Marker is in Valdosta, Georgia, in Lowndes County. Marker is at the intersection of North Ashley Street (U.S. 41) and West Central Avenue (U.S. 84), on the left when traveling north on North Ashley Street. Click for map. Ashley Street and Central Avenue are both one-way streets (north and west respectively). Marker is in this post office area: Valdosta GA 31601, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers.

Lowndes County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 23, 2011
2. Lowndes County Marker
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Christian Science Church (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old City Hall (about 700 feet away); Nationsbank (about 700 feet away); Site of Cotton Exchange (about 800 feet away); First Presbyterian Church (about 800 feet away); Troop Encampment Site (approx. 0.2 miles away); Primitive Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Valdosta Institute (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Valdosta.
 
More about this marker. The marker stands on the lawn of the Lowndes County Courthouse.
 
Categories. Political Subdivisions
 
Lowndes County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 23, 2011
3. Lowndes County Marker
Looking across the corner of the courthouse at the Lowndes County Confederate Monument and West Central Avenue
Lowndes County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 23, 2011
4. Lowndes County Courthouse
This is Lowndes County's seventh courthouse, built in 1905 for $60,000.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 574 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement