Pittsburgh in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Old Allegheny Market House
Inscription. One block east of this site opposite Carnegie Library and facing Ober Park stood the Old Allegheny Market House built in 1863, the most famous market hall in the metropolitan area. It was a great square shell of brick filling an entire city block with a trussed roof of timber and iron that for a hundred years enclosed locally one of the immemorial functions of a city—the provision of food. Half Romanesque, half Italianate in style, it was a true architectural document of its time as well as the honored hub and landmark of the City of Allegheny. Even after the merger of Pittsburgh and Allegheny in 1907, it eminently retained its historic function and remained one of the most beloved buildings in Pittsburgh. Demolished in 1966 by the Urban Redevelopment Authority of Pittsburgh to make way for a highrise apartment house as part of the Allegheny Center Renewal Plan, its loss reminds us to be vigilant in the protection of of our historic resources.
By Mike Wintermantel, August 21, 2012
1. Old Allegheny Market House Marker
This plaque was erected by Pittsburgh History and Landmarks Foundation in September, 1977 with partial funding contributed by the Pittsburgh Hairdresser's Guild, and is dedicated to all those who patronized and loved the Market House.
Erected 1977 by Pittsburgh History and Landmarks Foundation and The Pittsburgh Hairdresser's Guild.
40° 27.138′ N, 80° 0.406′ W. Marker is in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, in Allegheny County. Marker is on Children's Way east of West Commons, on the left when traveling west. Click for map. Located across from the Children's Museum. Marker is in this post office area: Pittsburgh PA 15212, United States of America.
By Mike Wintermantel, August 23, 2012
2. Old Allegheny Market House Marker
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Allegheny Post Office (a few steps from this marker); Buhl Planetarium and Institute of Popular Science (within shouting distance of this marker); James Hay Reed (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); First Free Public Library Building in the United States (about 400 feet away); Saint Peter Roman Catholic Church (about 500 feet away); Charles Taze Russell (about 600 feet away); Allegheny High School (about 600 feet away); Founding Convention of the CIO (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Pittsburgh.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
By Unknown, circa 1950s
3. Old Allegheny Market House
View of the Market House in the North side Section of Pittsburgh in the 1950s, built in 1863 to house food concessionaires, it was torn down in 1966.
An outlet for the Rhea's Bakery chain occupies the corner in the foreground. The large billboard in the background advertises Fort Pitt Beer. Both Rhea's and Fort Pitt Beer are gone from the Pittsburgh scene.
Courtesy: Historical Society of Western Pennsylvania
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,004 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. 2. submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. 3. submitted on , by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.