Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Valdosta in Lowndes County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Old City Hall

 
 
Old City Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 23, 2011
1. Old City Hall Marker
Inscription. Site of Old City Hall at Ashley St. and Hill Ave. The City Hall, a brick and granite two-story structure built in 1895, was “the ornament of the town” with its 70-ft. clock tower. For 63 years it served as a City Hall, as the City Library until 1913, and as a public gathering place with an auditorium that could seat 600 persons for plays, operas, and traveling shows. By 1958 the city government had outgrown this building and moved to new facilities on N. Toombs Street.
 
Erected 1993 by The Valdosta Town Committee.
 
Location. 30° 49.85′ N, 83° 16.65′ W. Marker is in Valdosta, Georgia, in Lowndes County. Marker is at the intersection of South Ashley Street (U.S. 41) and East Hill Avenue (U.S. 84), on the right when traveling north on South Ashley Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Valdosta GA 31601, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Nationsbank (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Troop Encampment Site (about 500 feet away); Site of Cotton Exchange (about 500 feet away); Lowndes County (about 700 feet away); Christian Science Church
Old City Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 23, 2011
2. Old City Hall Marker
Looking at the marker from South Ashley Street US 41); East Hill Street (US 84) is to the left. Both are one-way streets.
(approx. 0.2 miles away); Primitive Baptist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Old Carnegie Library (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Valdosta.
 
Regarding Old City Hall. The Old City Hall no longer stands.
 
Also see . . .  Can You Name This Landmark. Valdosta Historic Preservation, Planners Post, September 2009 - Old City Hall. (Submitted on February 10, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.) 
 
Categories. Government
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 437 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement