Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Moultrie in Colquitt County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Colquitt County

 
 
Colquitt County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 18, 2011
1. Colquitt County Marker
Inscription. This County, created by Act of the Legislature February 25, 1856, is named for Hon. Walter T. Colquitt who had recently died. A famous lawyer and Methodist preacher, he served in Congress in 1839-40 and 1842-43, and in the Senate from 1843 to 48. “As an advocate Judge Colquitt stood alone in Georgia.” Among the first County Officers were: Sheriff Jacob F. Reichert, Clerk of Superior Court William McLeod, Ordinary Hardy Chastain, Tax Receiver John A. Alderman, Tax Collector Job Turner, Coroner Elijah Tillman and Surveyor Amos Turner.
 
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 035-1.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 31° 10.778′ N, 83° 47.319′ W. Marker is in Moultrie, Georgia, in Colquitt County. Marker is at the intersection of North Main Street (Georgia Route 33) and East Central Avenue, on the right when traveling north on North Main Street. Click for map. The marker stands on the grounds of the Colquitt County Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Moultrie GA 31768, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the
Colquitt County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 18, 2011
2. Colquitt County Marker
crow flies. Totem Pole (a few steps from this marker); Colonial Heights (approx. 2.1 miles away); Olde Greenfield Church and Historic Cemetery (approx. 6.8 miles away); Greenfield Church (approx. 6.8 miles away); Murphy Settlement (approx. 7.8 miles away).
 
Categories. Political Subdivisions
 
Colquitt County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 18, 2011
3. Colquitt County Marker
The Colquitt County Courthouse is visible in the background.
Colquitt County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 18, 2011
4. Colquitt County Courthouse
The Colquitt County Courthouse was completed in 1902, for $29,500 (including the second-hand clock). The building was completely renovated in 1956-57, at a cost of $285,000.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 510 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement