Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
St. Patrick's Church
1888 - 1889
Erected 1972 by the Madison Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number 14.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin, Madison Landmarks Commission marker series.
Location. 43° 4.615′ N, 89° 22.736′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is at the intersection of East Main Street and South Hancock Street, on the left when traveling east on East Main Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 404 East Main Street, Madison WI 53703, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Emily Thompson House (within shouting distance of this marker); Nelson House (within shouting distance of this marker); Mattermore - Malaney House (within Wisconsin Wagon Company Factory (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cardinal Hotel (about 600 feet away); Tragedy of War (about 800 feet away); Eben and Rosaline Peck (about 800 feet away); Peck Cabin (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Madison.
Regarding St. Patrick's Church. Also according to the Madison Landmarks Commission, "Designed in the Romanesque Revival style, this church was designed by local architect and civil engineer, John Nader, known at the time as Madison's grandfather of architecture. It was the third Roman Catholic Church building to be erected in downtown Madison, the others being St. Raphael's and Holy Redeemer. As one might guess from the name, the church was attended by many of the Irish Catholic families in the city."
Nearby St. Raphael's Cathedral was destroyed by fire in March 2005, but the steeple, which had just been renovated, is in storage (see photo) pending reconstruction. Until completion of a replacement cathedral, the Cathedral Parish utilizes offices at St. Patrick's.
Related markers. list of markers that are related to this marker. This is a list of markers for other buildings designed by John Nader, including the other Catholic Church in the Cathedral Parish.
Also see . . .
1. A Brief History of St. Patrick Parish. (Submitted on February 12, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.)
2. Madison Landmarks Commission. The landmark nomination form for the building. (Submitted on February 12, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.)
Additional keywords. Architecture; Romanesque Revival
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 688 times since then and 147 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. 4, 5. submitted on , by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.