Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Manassas, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Clover Hill Farm

 
 
Clover Hill Farm Marker image. Click for full size.
February 12, 2011
1. Clover Hill Farm Marker
Inscription. In 1770 Patrick Hamrick sold this land to Rutt Johnson who used the land for crops and fruit trees and later added livestock. This property became known as CLOVER HILL FARM prior to 1852. During the Civil War the Johnson family left the area. When they returned they found that their home and crops had been burned by retreating Union soldiers. The stone weaving house and the slave quarters survived. They rebuilt the house, replanted the orchards and purchased registered Jersey cows. The dairy eventually produced approximately 30,000 gallons of milk a year. In the late 20th century the surrounding area became developed. In 1987 the Johnsons, who owned and operated the last farm in the City of Manassas, donated 8 acres of land to Grace United Methodist Church including the family cemetery and slave quarters that are preserved on their original sites. They sold the remaining land to a developer.
 
Erected 2010 by Manassas Museum System, City of Manassas.
 
Location. 38° 44.264′ N, 77° 28.674′ W. Marker is in Manassas, Virginia. Marker is on Hendley Road, on the left when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Manassas VA 20110, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance
Clover Hill Farm Marker image. Click for full size.
February 12, 2011
2. Clover Hill Farm Marker
of this marker. Wartime Manassas (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Manassas Museum (approx. 0.8 miles away); Confederate Cemetery (approx. 0.9 miles away); a different marker also named Wartime Manassas (approx. 0.9 miles away); Ruffner Public School - Number 1 (approx. 0.9 miles away); a different marker also named Wartime Manassas (approx. 0.9 miles away); a different marker also named Wartime Manassas (approx. 0.9 miles away); Site of Manassas Junction (approx. 0.9 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Manassas.
 
Additional comments.
1.
    — Submitted February 12, 2011.

 
Categories. African AmericansAgricultureWar, US Civil
 
Clover Hill Farm Slave Quarters image. Click for full size.
February 6, 2011
3. Clover Hill Farm Slave Quarters
Plaque on the Historic Cabin: image. Click for full size.
February 12, 2011
4. Plaque on the Historic Cabin:
Clover Hill Farm Slave Quarters
This building was built in the early 19th century as housing for slaves. It is the only remaining original Clover Hill Farm building and may be the oldest structure still standing in the city of Manassas. It has been preserved by the generosity of the Johnson family and under the perpetual protection of Grace United Methodist Church.
Clover Hill Farm Slave Quarters image. Click for full size.
February 12, 2011
5. Clover Hill Farm Slave Quarters
Interpretive Marker at the Historic Cabin image. Click for full size.
February 6, 2011
6. Interpretive Marker at the Historic Cabin
Close-up of Clover Hill Farm photo image. Click for full size.
February 6, 2011
7. Close-up of Clover Hill Farm photo
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on . This page has been viewed 1,612 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on . • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement