Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Madison in Dane County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Madison Gas & Electric Company Powerhouse

Claude & Starck; Mead & Seastone, Architects

 

1902; 1915 Addition

 
Madison Gas & Electric Company Powerhouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, December 1, 2011
1. Madison Gas & Electric Company Powerhouse Marker
Inscription. The Madison Gas & Electric Powerhouse has been in continuous operation providing electrical power since its construction in 1902. The building is significant for its association with the development of Madison's utility industry and as the location of the city's largest gas and electrical utility company, which was principally responsible for the development of the city's electrical distribution framework. The Classical Revival style facade is of brick and displays classical ornament including pilasters with Ionic capitals, and projecting cornice with dentils.

Designated October 15, 2002
 
Erected 2011 by the Madison Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number 147.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Wisconsin, Madison Landmarks Commission marker series.
 
Location. 43° 4.711′ N, 89° 22.508′ W. Marker is in Madison, Wisconsin, in Dane County. Marker is at the intersection of South Blount Street and Railroad Street, on the left when traveling south on South Blount Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 South Blount Street, Madison WI 53703, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Wisconsin Wagon Company Factory (about 600 feet
Madison Gas & Electric Company Powerhouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, December 1, 2011
2. Madison Gas & Electric Company Powerhouse Marker
The marker is on the front of the building, under the window to the left of the door on the right. The pilasters mentioned in the marker are the columns built into the face of the building, and the Ionic capitals are the curled tops of those columns. The projecting cornice mentioned in the marker are the shelf-like projections above the columns, and the dentils are the small blocks lining the cornice.
away, measured in a direct line); Johann and Elsbeth Reiner Tree (about 800 feet away); Madison Candy Company (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ceramic Arts Studio of Madison (approx. 0.2 miles away but has been reported missing); Machinery Row (approx. 0.2 miles away); Mattermore - Malaney House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Nelson House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Emily Thompson House (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Madison.
 
Regarding Madison Gas & Electric Company Powerhouse. According to the Madison Landmarks Commission, "The MG&E Powerhouse is a sprawling complex built in several phases from 1902 until 1988. Only the earliest sections, built in 1902 and 1915, exhibit Neo-Classical styling. Later additions are astylistic. The site where the powerhouse stands today was the site of the first gas company in the city, and the second in the state, organized in 1855. The MG&E powerhouse continues to function, in an excellent state of preservation and working condition, into the twenty-first century."
 
Also see . . .
Madison Gas and Electric Company Powerhouse image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, February 12, 2011
3. Madison Gas and Electric Company Powerhouse
 Madison Landmarks Commission. The landmark nomination form for the building (pdf). (Submitted on February 13, 2011, by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.) 
 
Categories. Industry & Commerce
 
Madison Gas and Electric Company Powerhouse and Powerplant image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, February 15, 2011
4. Madison Gas and Electric Company Powerhouse and Powerplant
This is a view of the building (on the right) from the corner of South Blount Street and East Main Street, showing the MG&E powerplant in the background.
Related Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, February 12, 2011
5. Related Marker
100 S. Blount Street
Madison Wisconsin

This property has been placed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior on December 6, 2002.
Related Marker image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, February 12, 2011
6. Related Marker
The related marker is on the lower left corner of the front of the building. Note the metal sheaths on the corner of the building and the trees to keep squirrels from entering and shorting out the power station.
Madison Gas and Electric Company Powerplant image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, February 15, 2011
7. Madison Gas and Electric Company Powerplant
Closeup of the Blount Station sign on the corner of South Blount Street and East Main Street.
Madison Gas and Electric Company Service Building image. Click for full size.
By William J. Toman, February 15, 2011
8. Madison Gas and Electric Company Service Building
Ornate factory door of a bygone era on a service building near the powerhouse building.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 892 times since then and 85 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.   3. submitted on , by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.   4. submitted on , by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.   5, 6. submitted on , by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin.   7, 8. submitted on , by William J. Toman of Green Lake, Wisconsin. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement