“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Clarkesville in Habersham County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)

Habersham County

Habersham County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Judith Barber, February 13, 2011
1. Habersham County Marker
Inscription. Habersham County was created by Acts of the Legislature, Dec. 15, 1818, and named for Joseph Habersham (1751–1815), of Savannah, who had a summer home near Clarkesville. He served in the Revolution as a Lieut. Col. in the Ga. Continental line; was twice Speaker of the General Assembly; Mayor of Savannah, 1792–'93; and Postmaster General of the United States, 1795-1801. The first Habersham County officers sworn in after the County was created were Miles Davis, Clerk of the Superior Court; Wm. B Wofford, Sheriff; Joseph Dobson, Clerk of the Inferior Court; Wm. Steedly, Coroner; William Wofford, Sr., Surveyor. Benjamin Cleveland, Absalom Holcombe and James R. Wyly were sworn in as Members of the Inferior Court, Feb. 25, 1819, and Holcombe was succeeded by Arthur Alexander on April 20, 1819. James Allen, Benjamin Chastain, Absalom Holcombe, John Kiser, Thomas Brock, James O’Neal, Joseph Whitehead and John Bryan were sworn in as Justices of the Peace in 1821.

Cicero M. Sutton was the first Ordinary of Habersham County. Habersham County is noted for its healthful climate and beautiful scenery, its peaches and apples, and its fine schools.
Erected 1955 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 068-8.)
Marker series.
Habersham County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Judith Barber, February 13, 2011
2. Habersham County Marker
Monument to W. Les Smith at Habersham Courthouse near marker.
This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 34° 36.925′ N, 83° 31.631′ W. Marker is in Clarkesville, Georgia, in Habersham County. Marker is at the intersection of Monroe Street (Georgia Route 115) and Washington Street (Georgia Route 197), on the right when traveling west on Monroe Street. Click for map. Adjacent to the Habersham County Courthouse. Marker is at or near this postal address: 617 Monroe St., Clarkesville GA 30523, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Clarkesville War Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Grace Protestant Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Toombs-Bleckley House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Living & Learning In The Mountains (approx. 1.6 miles away); Summer Home of Joseph Habersham (approx. 2.1 miles away); Habersham Iron Works & Mfg. Co. (approx. 2.6 miles away); The Unicoi Turnpike (approx. 3.3 miles away); Piedmont College (approx. 3.6 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Clarkesville.
Also see . . .  Habersham County, Ga. (Submitted on February 15, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. AgriculturePoliticsWar, US Revolutionary
Habersham County Marker image. Click for full size.
By Judith Barber, February 13, 2011
3. Habersham County Marker
Marker and pavilion in front of Courthouse.
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Judith Barber of Marietta, Georgia. This page has been viewed 593 times since then and 60 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Judith Barber of Marietta, Georgia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement