Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Nevada City in Nevada County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Charles Marsh House

 
 
Charles Marsh House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, February 13, 2011
1. Charles Marsh House Marker
Inscription. Built about 1866 by Charles Marsh, who arrived here in July, 1849, in what would later become Nevada City. Marsh was the first county surveyor and the first county supervisor from Nevada City. He created the water distribution system which formed the basis for P. G. & E. and the Nevada Irrigation District.

Marsh was influential in the routing of the Central Pacific Railroad and served on its original Board of Directors, as well as the board of the Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad. He was also instrumental in creating a library association in Nevada City.
 
Erected 1996 by Wm. Bull Meek – Wm. Morris Stewart Chapter 10, E Clampus Vitus and Nev. County Landmarks Commisson. (Marker Number Nev 02-96.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
 
Location. 39° 15.784′ N, 121° 0.952′ W. Marker is in Nevada City, California, in Nevada County. Marker is on Nevada Street near Grove Street, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is mounted to a granite base at the sidewalk in front of the house. Marker is at or near this postal address: 123 Nevada Street, Nevada City CA 95959, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking
Charles Marsh House Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, February 13, 2011
2. Charles Marsh House Marker
distance of this marker. Trinity Episcopal Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of the Original Ott Assay Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Wells Fargo Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Five Stamp Mill (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); South Yuba Canal Office (about 300 feet away); Pelton Water Wheel (about 300 feet away); Robinson Plaza (about 300 feet away); Nevada Hose Co. No. 1 (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Nevada City.
 
Also see . . .
1. The Birth of Pacific Gas & Electric. PG & E is currently the largest power company in the State of California. Their history and the involvement of Charles Marsh is detailed in this article by A. Dale Johnson. (Submitted on February 14, 2011.) 

2. Historical Sketch of Nevada City and Township. This transcribed chapter from Beanís History & Directory of Nevada County, California, 1867 details many of the contributions that Charles Marsh made to Nevada City History. (Submitted on February 14, 2011.) 
 
Categories. Notable Buildings
 
Charles Marsh House image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, February 13, 2011
3. Charles Marsh House
Charles Marsh House image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, February 13, 2011
4. Charles Marsh House
View of the south side of the building.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 618 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement