Cockburn Town, Grand Turk, Turks and Caicos Islands — Caribbean Region (Atlantic Ocean)
(Turks Islands Importers Ltd.)
The building later became the home of the Turks Island Importers Ltd. This company was formerly the 'Competent Authority' that was set up circa 1940 to control the importation and distribution of food in the colony during World War II. It was a government statuary body and was renamed after it was sold in 1952. It is the oldest food importing company on the Island but no longer the largest. The company is now owned by 'La Scelles de Marco' of Jamaica and has been managed by the Mangnus brothers since 1975. (Marker Number 17.)
Location. 21° 28.209′ N, 71° 8.828′ W. Marker is in Cockburn Town, Grand Turk. Marker is on Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cockburn Town, Grand Turk 00109-9000, Turks and Caicos Islands.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Todds (a few steps from this marker); Grant Building (a few steps from this marker); Crofton Coverley House (a few steps from this marker); Free Mason's Lodge (within shouting distance of this marker); Sunnyside (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line); The History of the West (about 120 meters away); Victoria Public Library (about 180 meters away); Miramar (about 210 meters away). Click for a list of all markers in Cockburn Town.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 669 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.