HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Thomasville in Thomas County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Finney General Hospital
(1942-1945)
 
Finney General Hospital Marker Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, January 18, 2011
1. Finney General Hospital Marker
 
Inscription. Finney General Hospital, named in honor of Brigadier General John M.T. Finney, was authorized September 30, 1942, and dedicated June 16, 1943, on this site. Finney was one of sixty Army hospitals across the country built to care for sick and wounded World War II soldiers. Under Colonel Samuel M. Browne, Finney grew to two hundred buildings including hospital wards, a theater, gymnasium, chapel, bowling alley and barracks for German prisoners of war. Numerous celebrities visited to entertain patients and staff. Citizens of Thomas County provided support through the Grey Ladies Corps, plantation picnics, use of the YMCA, and lodging for soldiers’ families in private homes. Finney General closed December 15, 1945, having treated 23,055 WWII veterans.
 
Erected 2006 by Georgia Historical Society and the Thomas County Historical Society, Inc. (Marker Number 136-1.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 30° 48.807′ N, 83° 59.556′ W. Marker is in Thomasville, Georgia, in Thomas County. Marker is at the intersection of South Pinetree Boulevard and South Martin Luther King Drive, on the right when traveling east on South Pinetree Boulevard
 
Finney General Hospital Marker Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, January 18, 2011
2. Finney General Hospital Marker
 
. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 South Pinetree Boulevard, Thomasville GA 31792, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Civil War Prison Camp (approx. 1.7 miles away); Flowers Baking Company (approx. 1.7 miles away); Old Coffee Road (approx. 2 miles away).
 
Regarding Finney General Hospital. The site is now the Southwest State Hospital, a psychiatric and rehabilitation facility.
 
Also see . . .  Finney Findings. This copy of the October 29, 1943 Finney Findings was provided by a relative of then PFC Max Engel, mentioned on page 5. (Submitted on June 20, 2011.) 
 
Finney General Hospital Marker Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, January 18, 2011
3. Finney General Hospital Marker
The marker and the hospital grounds
 
 
Finney General Hospital Marker Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, January 18, 2011
4. Finney General Hospital Marker
Something -- or someone -- fairly heavy has hit the marker, tearing it but not bending the pole.
 
 
Finney General Hospital Marker Photo, Click for full size
By David Seibert, January 18, 2011
5. Finney General Hospital Marker
THe (torn) marker is located on a bicycle path, well off Pinetree Boulevard, to the right in the photo
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on February 18, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 528 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on February 18, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.
 
Recommend or Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 207 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.