Tuscaloosa in Tuscaloosa County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
First African Baptist Church
Present structure erected 1907 under leadership of the Rev. J. H. Smith. Church annex completed and adjoining property purchased during pastorate of the Rev. W. B. Shealey, 1952-1957. Education building and new parsonage constructed during term of the Rev. T. Y. Rogers, Jr., 1963-1971.
Erected 1975 by Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 33° 12.292′ N, 87° 34.233′ W. Marker is in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, in Tuscaloosa County. Marker is at the intersection of Stillman Boulevard and Ty Rogers Avenue, on the right when traveling east on Stillman Boulevard. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2621 Stillman Boulevard, Tuscaloosa AL 35401, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Greenwood Cemetery (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. John The Baptist Catholic Church First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Tuscaloosa First United Methodist Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Friedman Home (approx. ¼ mile away); Tuscaloosa Second State Capital (approx. ¼ mile away); First Baptist Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Clement Comer Clay (approx. ¼ mile away). Click for a list of all markers in Tuscaloosa.
Categories. • African Americans • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 839 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.