Tuscumbia in Colbert County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
First Presbyterian Church
First Presbyterian Church was organized April 13, 1824, by Scots-Irish settlers. The sanctuary, erected in 1827, is the oldest in continuous use in Alabama. Its Georgian Gothic style remains essentially unchanged. The brick walls are laid in Flemish Bond and massive hand-hewn beams are joined with wooden pegs. A rare feature is the original wrap-around slave gallery, supported by two levels of columns. The walls were reinforced with iron bars after the 1874 tornado and stained glass windows were added in 1904. The church is listed in the Historic American Buildings Survey and the National Register of Historic Places.
(Continued on the other side)
(Continued from the other side)
Notable Tuscumbians who were members include: the Arthur Keller family, whose infant daughter Helen Keller was baptized here in 1880; Brig. Gen. James Deshler, CSA; Alabama Governor Robert Burns Lindsay; Judge John Anthony Steele, delegate to the State Secession Convention and Thomas Limerick, first mayor of Tuscumbia and original trustee of the church. Revivals led by Presbyterian evangelist Daniel Baker in 1839 and 1843 added over 100 members. Committed to Biblical and confessional belief and a deep desire to share grace and truth to all, the church has been a recipient of God's grace working in
Erected 2005 by First Presbyterian Church, Tuscumbia, Alabama and the Colbert County Historical Landmarks Foundation, Alabam Historicl Association.
Location. 34° 43.993′ N, 87° 42.025′ W. Marker is in Tuscumbia, Alabama, in Colbert County. Marker is at the intersection of East 4th Street and North Broad Street, on the right when traveling east on East 4th Street. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 103 North Broad Street, Tuscumbia AL 35674, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Baptist Church (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); St. John's Episcopal Church (about 600 feet away); Colbert County Courthouse Square District (approx. 0.2 miles away); Howell Thomas Heflin (approx. 0.2 miles away); History of Tuscumbia, Alabama (approx. 0.2 miles away); Jackson's Military Road (approx. ¼ mile away); Cold Water Falls (approx. ¼ mile away); Sacred Tears (approx. 0.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Tuscumbia.
Also see . . . First Presbyterian Church of Tuscumbia, Alabama. (Submitted on February 21, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. This page has been viewed 645 times since then and 80 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Sandra Hughes of Killen, Usa. 4, 5. submitted on . • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.