HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Taylors Island in Dorchester County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Chapel of Ease Old Trinity Episcopal Church
Circa 1707
 
Chapel of Ease Old Trinity Episcopal Church Marker Photo, Click for full size
By F. Robby, November 4, 2007
1. Chapel of Ease Old Trinity Episcopal Church Marker
 
Inscription. In the selection of the middle point between the Atlantic Ocean and the Chesapeake Bay for the start of the Mason-Dixon Line survey, this area was the center of a long controversy among British, Maryland and Pennsylvania officials as to whether Taylor's Island was a part of the mainland or an island. An adverse decision resulted in the loss of land to Pennsylvania, now Delaware.
 
Erected by Maryland Historical Society.
 
Location. 38° 28.252′ N, 76° 18.539′ W. Marker is in Taylors Island, Maryland, in Dorchester County. Marker is on Hoopers Neck Road 0.6 miles north of Taylors Island Road (Maryland Route 16), on the right when traveling north. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Taylors Island MD 21669, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First School House (a few steps from this marker); Trapped (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Becky Phipps (approx. 0.8 miles away); Battle of the Ice Mound (approx. 0.8 miles away); Bethlehem Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); New Revived Church-Family & Faith Connections (approx. 1.9 miles away); Malone's Church-Ties that Bind (approx. 5.2 miles away); Madison-Preparing for Freedom (approx. 5.3 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Taylors Island.
 
Chapel of Ease Photo, Click for full size
By F. Robby, November 4, 2007
2. Chapel of Ease
 
 
1975 Marker on Chapel Photo, Click for full size
By F. Robby, November 4, 2007
3. 1975 Marker on Chapel
Inscription: Chapel of Ease, built 1707. Marked by Fort Garrison Chapter, Colonial Dames XVII Century. 1975.
 
 
Grace United Methodist Church Photo, Click for full size
By F. Robby, November 4, 2007
4. Grace United Methodist Church
The chapel of ease is located adjacent to the Grace UMC.
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on December 8, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,461 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on December 8, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland.
 
Recommend or Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 180 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.