“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Wilmington in New Castle County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)

Delaware's Jewish Community

Delaware's Jewish Community Marker image. Click for full size.
By Jerry Klinger, circa September 2004
1. Delaware's Jewish Community Marker
Howard Krystal, DJHS., Russ McCabe, State of Del., Toni Young, DJHS. & Jerry Klinger, JASHP at the marker dedication.
Inscription. This building, once known as the Morrow Building, symbolizes the founding of an organized Jewish community in Delaware. Jews have been present in Delaware since the 1650's. Until the late 19th Century, the Jewish community was too small to maintain a house of worship. During the 1870's Jews began to gather on the third floor of this building to conduct religious services. In 1880, Delaware's first Jewish organization, the Moses Montefiore Mutual Aide Society, established the state's first synagogue Ohabe Shalom (Lovers of Peace). Adas Kodesch (Congregation of the Holy) was organized in 1885, becoming the first state - chartered Jewish congregation. Both Ohabe Shalom and Adas Kodesch continued to hold services from time to time in the Morrow Building. Efforts to establish a permanent house of worship bore fruit in 1898, when Adas Kodesch dedicated a building then standing at 6th and French Streets as the first structure in Delaware for use exclusively as a synagogue.
Erected 2004 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number NC-141.)
Location. 39° 44.344′ N, 75° 33.127′ W. Marker is in Wilmington, Delaware, in New Castle County. Marker is on North Market Street. Click for map. Marker is located between West 2nd and East 3rd Streets. Marker is at or near this postal address: 212 North Market Street, Wilmington DE 19801, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Farmers Bank (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lincoln's Speech (about 500 feet away); Thomas Garrett (about 500 feet away); The Great Railroad Boom (about 800 feet away); Freedom Lost (approx. 0.2 miles away); Brown v. Board of Education (approx. 0.2 miles away); Frank Furness Railroad District (approx. 0.2 miles away); Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Wilmington.
Also see . . .  Jewish American Society for Historic Preservation. (Submitted on February 24, 2011, by Jerry Klinger of Derwood, Maryland.)
Additional keywords. Jewish American History
Categories. Churches, Etc.
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Jerry Klinger of Derwood, Maryland. This page has been viewed 535 times since then and 71 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on , by Jerry Klinger of Derwood, Maryland. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Close-up view of marker with clear readable marker text. • Picture of the building. • Can you help?
Paid Advertisement