Cartersville in Bartow County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Site of Sam Jones’ Tabernacle
Here he built, in 1886, at his own expense, a large open-air structure, called “The Tabernacle,” for the inter-faith meetings begun in 1884.
Until his death in 1906, he held services here each September, bringing to his hometown the co-workers who assisted him in the great revivals he held throughout the country.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 008-12B.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 34° 9.794′ N, 84° 48.289′ W. Marker is in Cartersville, Georgia, in Bartow County. Marker is at the intersection of West Main Street and School Street, on the right when traveling west on West Main Street. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cartersville GA 30120, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Home of Sam P Jones (approx. 0.2 miles away); Bartow County (approx. half a mile away); Private First Class Jerry Wayne Gentry Friendship Monument (approx. half a mile away); Tribute on Monument / 38 Names on Monument (approx. half a mile away); God Bless America (approx. half a mile away); Old Bartow County Courthouse (approx. 0.6 miles away); Amos T. Akerman (approx. 0.7 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Cartersville.
Also see . . . Sam Jones (1847-1906). The New Georgia Encyclopedia (Submitted on February 28, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.)
Categories. • Churches, Etc. •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 634 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.