Scottsdale in Maricopa County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
1862 - 1923
An early Civic Leader of Scottsdale, Charles Miller purchased this property and the 120 acres to the North and West from Scottsdale founder Winfield Scott.
He with two others Founded the Scottsdale Light and Power Company, which brought electricity to Scottsdale in 1918.
He served on the Board of Directors of the Salt River Valley Water Users Association (now known as Salt River Project) in 1921.
In 1922 he donated 10 acres for the Scottsdale High School.
Miller Road is named in his honor.
Bronze [statue] by Gerry Metz, b. 1943
Location. 33° 29.709′ N, 111° 55.034′ W. Marker is in Scottsdale, Arizona, in Maricopa County. Marker is at the intersection of Indian School Road and Miller Road, on the left when traveling east on Indian School Road. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 7552 East Indian School Road, Scottsdale AZ 85251, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Permanent Home of the "Beavers" (approx. 0.4 miles away); Winfield Scott Memorial (approx. 0.4 miles away); Scottsdale Grammar School / The Little Red Schoolhouse (approx. 0.4 miles away); Passing the Legacy Papago Park Prisoner Of War Camp (approx. 2.4 miles away but has been reported missing); George W. P. Hunt / Arizona's First Governor (approx. 3.4 miles away); Papago Park's Military History (approx. 3.6 miles away); Hunt Bass Hatchery (approx. 3.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Scottsdale.
Also see . . . History of Scottsdale. (Submitted on February 28, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Notable Persons •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 953 times since then and 101 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.