Glendale in Maricopa County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Main House and Guest House
—at Sahuaro Ranch . . . —
The large house to the right, now known as the Main House, was the home of the superintendent who managed Sahuaro Ranch for its owner, William Bartlett. The oldest section, on the right, was built in 1891 as an office. In 1895 it was expanded and converted into a residence.
After Bartlett's son William was diagnosed with tuberculosis in 1898, the house on the left was built to accommodate the family during the following winter, which they spent here in hope that Arizona's dry air would aid his recovery. Also in 1898, a second story and rear addition were added to the Main House and a veranda was built to connect the two dwellings.
The Bartletts only lived here one winter. After 1899, their temporary home became known as the Guest House.
When the Smith family bought Sahuaro Ranch in 1927, the Main House became the family's residence, while the Guest House was reserved for visitors and household employees. The Smiths remodeled the interior of the Main House and built a new patio of concrete and brick.
On the Ranch Today
The porch with balcony that you see here today is a reconstruction of the original 1898 veranda. The restoration, which was based on historic photographs, was done in 2004.
[Photograph captions read]
Many of the people in this 1900 photograph stayed in the
Here is the Guest House in 1899, along with part of the veranda. (Photo courtesy of the Arizona Historical Foundation, W.N. Campbell Photograph Album, DW-84-6).
Erected by Glendale Parks & Recreation.
Location. 33° 34.524′ N, 112° 11.3′ W. Marker is in Glendale, Arizona, in Maricopa County. Click for map. Marker is near the Main House, at Sahuaro Ranch Park Historic Area. Marker is at or near this postal address: 9802 North 59th Avenue, Glendale AZ 85302, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sahuaro Ranch Residence (within shouting distance of this marker); Adobe House (within shouting distance of this marker); Water & Power (within shouting distance of this marker); Welcome to Sahuaro Ranch (within shouting distance of this marker); Fruit Packing Shed (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Foreman's House (about 300 feet away); Orchards (about 400 feet away); Irrigation (about 400 feet away). Click for a list of all markers in Glendale.
Also see . . . History of Sahuaro Ranch Park. (Submitted on March 2, 2011, by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas.)
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page has been viewed 677 times since then and 133 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by William Fischer, Jr. of Fort Scott, Kansas. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.