Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Arab in Marshall County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
 

Farmer's Exchange

 
 
Farmer's Exchange Marker image. Click for full size.
By Judith Barber, February 6, 2011
1. Farmer's Exchange Marker
Inscription. The Farmerís Exchange was a focal point of commerce during the early years of the young town of Arab. Farmers exchanged their corn, eggs, butter, hides and other agricultural products for a barrel of flour, a stand of lard or other “groceries”. William “Bill” Harrison operated the Exchange in this building beginning about 1933, although the structure may be older. Basil Cobb began working here while still in high school during the early 1930s. His uncle, L.D. Cobb, bought the business from Mr. Harrison about 1939. Basil Cobb continued to work at the Farmerís Exchange and later purchased it, operating it until his retirement in 1982. In 1945 Harrison sold the building, but not the business, to the Myra Leak Hammond family, who owned it until 1999.
 
Erected 2008 by Alabama Historical Association.
 
Location. 34° 19.01′ N, 86° 29.771′ W. Marker is in Arab, Alabama, in Marshall County. Marker is at the intersection of Cullman Road (Alabama Route 69) and Main Street (Alabama Route 69), on the right when traveling west on Cullman Road. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 31 North Main Street, Arab AL 35016, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker
Farmer's Exchange Marker image. Click for full size.
By Judith Barber, February 6, 2011
2. Farmer's Exchange Marker
Marker in front of Farmer's Exchange building.
, measured as the crow flies. Stephen Tuttle Thompson (within shouting distance of this marker); 1883 Methodist Church Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); First Arab High School (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Baptist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); First United Methodist Church (approx. 1.3 miles away); Bear Meat Cabin Road (approx. 1.7 miles away); Gilliam Springs Baptist Church (approx. 1.7 miles away); Brashier's Chapel Cemetery (approx. 2.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Arab.
 
Categories. AgricultureIndustry & Commerce
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Judith Barber of Marietta, Georgia. This page has been viewed 548 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Judith Barber of Marietta, Georgia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement