Near Alto in Banks County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Line Baptist Church
This church was just over the line between Georgia and Cherokee lands. Meetings couldn’t be held at night, because all white people had to be off Indian lands by sundown.
Thirteen churches met here and formed the Tugalo Baptist Association in 1818. This Association met here in 1822 and 1842. The Liberty Baptist Association was formed here in 1867.
This building, about 70 years old, is the second one on this site. It has stood in Franklin, Habersham and Banks counties.
Erected 1953 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 006-3.)
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
Location. 34° 24.587′ N, 83° 30.359′ W. Marker is near Alto, Georgia, in Banks County. Marker is at the intersection of Old U.S. 441 and Line Church Road, on the right when traveling south on U.S. 441. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3847 Old Highway 441 N, Alto GA 30510, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Indian Boundary Middle River Volunteers (approx. 4.6 miles away); Leatherwood Baptist Church (approx. 4.7 miles away); Mt. Pleasant Church (approx. 4.8 miles away); Banks County (approx. 5.2 miles away); “Hawkins Line” (approx. 5.7 miles away); Battle of Narrows (approx. 5.8 miles away); Nails Creek Baptist Church (approx. 6.3 miles away).
Regarding Line Baptist Church. The current church was built in 1977, replacing the building mentioned on the marker.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • Native Americans •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 855 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.