Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Homer in Banks County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Banks County

 
 
Banks County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, March 2, 2011
1. Banks County Marker
Inscription. Banks County was created by Act of Dec. 11, 1858 from Franklin and Habersham Counties. It was named for Dr. Richard Banks (1784-1850), whose reputation as physician and surgeon extended over north Ga. and S.C. Especially noted for treating Indians for smallpox, he practiced medicine in Gainesville from 1832 until his death. First officers of Banks County, commissioned March 19, 1859, were: William P. Richards, Sheriff; James Anderson, Clk. Sup. Ct.; William H. Means, Clk. Inf. Ct.; Archibald McDonald, Coroner; Pierce C. Key, Surveyor; Fountain G. Moss, Ord.; Thomas Ausburn, Tax Col.; Elijah Owens, Tax Rec.
 
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 006-7B.)
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Georgia Historical Society/Commission marker series.
 
Location. 34° 20.05′ N, 83° 29.9′ W. Marker is in Homer, Georgia, in Banks County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Georgia Route 51) and Yonah Homer Road, on the left when traveling east on Main Street. Click for map. The marker stands in a small park in front of the old Banks County Courthouse. Marker is in this post office area: Homer GA 30547, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 10 miles of
Banks County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, March 2, 2011
2. Banks County Marker
this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mt. Pleasant Church (approx. 3.7 miles away); Indian Boundary (approx. 5 miles away); Line Baptist Church (approx. 5.2 miles away); Nails Creek Baptist Church (approx. 5.9 miles away); Hebron Presbyterian Church (approx. 7.4 miles away); Middle River Volunteers (approx. 9.3 miles away); Leatherwood Baptist Church (approx. 9.4 miles away); Home of Governor L.G. Hardman (approx. 9.5 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Homer.
 
Also see . . .  Banks County, Georgia. The Banks County Convention and Visitors Bureau (Submitted on March 6, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.) 
 
Categories. Political Subdivisions
 
Banks County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, March 2, 2011
3. Banks County Marker
Looking northeast on Georgia Highway 51
Banks County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, March 2, 2011
4. Banks County Marker
Looking southeast on Georgia Highway 51
Banks County Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, March 2, 2011
5. Banks County Marker
The marker, with the old Banks County Courthouse
Old Banks County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, March 2, 2011
6. Old Banks County Courthouse
The Old Courthouse was restored in 1990-1991. It now houses the Banks County Chamber of Commerce.
Old Banks County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, March 2, 2011
7. Old Banks County Courthouse
Construction on the original Banks County Courthouse began in 1859, but was not completed until after the Civil War. Until very recently this was the only courthouse in the county's history.
New Banks County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, March 2, 2011
8. New Banks County Courthouse
The new 21st Century Banks County Courthouse stands adjacent to the original.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 795 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement