Southeast in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Civil War Defenses of Washington
One of several earthworks commenced late in 1861 to guard the nationís capital from the ridge east of the Anacostia River. The fort was named in honour of Colonel Benjamin F. Davis of the 8th New York Cavalry, killed at Beverly Ford, Virginia, June 9th, 1863. Its armament consisted of eleven guns and one mortar.
United States Department of the Interior
National Park Service, National Capital Parks
Presented by the
National Society of the Colonial Dames of America
in the District of Columbia
Erected 1956 by National Society of the Colonial Dames of America in the District of Columbia and the National Park Service.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Defenses of Washington, and the National Society of Colonial Dames of America marker series.
Location. 38° 51.989′ N, 76° 57.048′ W. Marker is in Southeast, District of Columbia, in Washington. Marker is on Alabama Street north of Pennsylvania Avenue, SE, on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 3812 Alabama Avenue, SE, Washington DC 20020, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this Original Federal Boundary Stone SE 3 (approx. 0.3 miles away); Fort DuPont (approx. 0.7 miles away); Original Federal Boundary Stone SE 2 (approx. 0.9 miles away); Battery Ricketts (approx. 1.5 miles away); Fort Chaplin (approx. 1.5 miles away); Seafarers Yacht Club (approx. 1.5 miles away); Woodlawn Cemetery (approx. 1.6 miles away); Thurgood Marshall (approx. 1.6 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Benjamin Franklin "Grimes" Davis. (Submitted on March 5, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
2. The Civil War Defenses of Washington: Fort Davis. National Park Service (Submitted on March 5, 2011, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland.)
Categories. • Forts, Castles • War, US Civil •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. This page has been viewed 786 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. 5. submitted on , by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.