Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Moultrie in Colquitt County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Olde Greenfield Church and Historic Cemetery

In Memory of Rev. T.C. Gregory

 
 
Olde Greenfield Church and Historic Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 18, 2011
1. Olde Greenfield Church and Historic Cemetery Marker
Side 1
Inscription. This site, along with 19,600 acres, was purchased through a state land lottery, September, 1843-44, by Rev. Eli Graves, formerly of Vermont. In March, 1848, all was sold to his brother, Presbyterian pastor, Rev. Joel S. Graves. In 1850, using handmade bricks from a nearby clay pit, Rev. Graves built the area’s first brick structure, a church with annex for the area’s first “common" school.” The first teacher was Ruth Graves and in February, 1861, Roxanna Graves became the second. The Post Office was at Greenfield June 26, 1856-1883. Rev. Graves brought industry to the thriving community by building a three-story building on Sloan Creek with a grist mill, general store, steam-powered wool carding factory and “bucket shop.” During the War Between the States, Rev. Graves´ bucket and barrel factory supplied a Confederate contract. The church served as a recruiting center and field hospital from 1863 to war’s end under the care of Methodist minister and former Kentucky legislator, Rev./Dr. Baker E. Watkins and his assistant, Dr. Samuel Hart of Americus, GA. Rev./Dr. Watkins and Rev. Flournoy Clark represented Colquitt County at the Constitutional Convention in November of 1865. Rev./Dr. Watkins was elected first County School Commissioner in 1872 and served in this capacity until his death in 1876.
(Continued on
Olde Greenfield Church and Historic Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 18, 2011
2. Olde Greenfield Church and Historic Cemetery Marker
Side 2
other side)

(Back):
In Memory of Rev. T.C. Gregory b. 10-17-1912 d. 6-15-1993
(Continued from other side)
Rev. Gregory grew up in the Greenfield community and served as pastor for the church from 1951 to 1990. We credit him with preserving the history and historic church site. His extensive research and publication enables this history to live on for future generations to appreciate. His love and devotion to this site made him synonymous with Greenfield Church.

Related Sites
Factory and General Store -- a three-story frame building on the west side of Sloan Creek, .9 of a mile from the church on the J. D. Herndon Road. This building housed the "bucket shop,” Post Office, store, and steam-powered grist mill and wool carding factory operated from the reservoir created by the dam constructed by pioneer settler Jacob Rosencrantz from Switzerland.

Brick Clay Pit -- Bricks for the church/school were made there, located on the west side of Highway 33 one mile northwest of the church.

Historic Cemetery -- reported to have been much larger than it is at present. This is the final resting place of pioneer settlers and county forefathers, developer and entrepreneur, Rev. Joel S. Graves d. 1887; his wife (formerly of New York), Eunice Whedon d. 1878; Rev./Dr. Watkins and wife;
Olde Greenfield Church and Historic Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 18, 2011
3. Olde Greenfield Church and Historic Cemetery Marker
Side 1
many others with stories of their own; victims of time; epidemics and many unknown soldiers of the War Between the States.
 
Erected 1996 by Moultrie Sons of Confederate Veterans Camp No. 674.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the Sons of Confederate Veterans/United Confederate Veterans marker series.
 
Location. 31° 5.046′ N, 83° 45.9′ W. Marker is near Moultrie, Georgia, in Colquitt County. Marker is at the intersection of Greenfield Church Road and Kilgore Road, on the left when traveling east on Greenfield Church Road. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: Opposite 1001 Greenfield Church Road, Moultrie GA 31788, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Greenfield Church (a few steps from this marker); Murphy Settlement (approx. 3.6 miles away); Colonial Heights (approx. 4.7 miles away); Totem Pole (approx. 6.7 miles away); Colquitt County (approx. 6.8 miles away); Bethel Primitive Baptist Church (approx. 10.9 miles away); Old Coffee Road (approx. 13.5 miles away); a different marker also named Old Coffee Road (approx. 16 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Moultrie.
 
Categories. Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches, Etc.Settlements & SettlersWar, US Civil
 
Olde Greenfield Church and Historic Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 18, 2011
4. Olde Greenfield Church and Historic Cemetery Marker
Side 2
Olde Greenfield Church and Historic Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 18, 2011
5. Olde Greenfield Church and Historic Cemetery Marker
Side 2 Another part of the historic cemetery can be seen in the distancd, across Greenfield Church Road
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 859 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on , by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement