HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Near Kenefic in Bryan County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
Nail's Crossing
Butterfield Overland Mail
 
Nail's Crossing Marker Photo, Click for full size
March 3, 2011
1. Nail's Crossing Marker
 
Inscription.
Butterfield Overland Mail
site of
Nail's Crossing
Here was located a stage stand of the Butterfield Overland Mail route, under act of Congress, March 3, 1857. First mail service arrived here in September 1858, enroute to San Francisco, service continued until the outbreak of the War Between the States.
 
Erected 1958 by Oklahoma Historical Society.
 
Location. 34° 7.874′ N, 96° 23.43′ W. Marker is near Kenefic, Oklahoma, in Bryan County. Marker can be reached from Nails Crossing Road, on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Located well off the road behind Nails Cemetery. Marker is in this post office area: Kenefic OK 74748, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. W.O.W. Building (approx. 7.4 miles away); Cowboy Pink Williams (approx. 7.5 miles away); Craighead's 5 & 10 Store (approx. 7.5 miles away); Ben Siegel Building (approx. 7.5 miles away); Hancock Building (approx. 7.5 miles away); Fort Washita (approx. 9.1 miles away).
 
More about this marker. Nail's Crossing and related sites are on private property.
 
Also see . . .  Nail's Crossing. More photos and background information about Nail's Crossing. All photos and information for this entry provided by Bruce Schulze, of the Civil War Album. (Submitted on March 6, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.) 
 
Nail's Crossing Marker Photo, Click for full size
March 3, 2011
2. Nail's Crossing Marker
Marker is located at the edge of a break in the trees.
 
 
Site of Old Bridge at Nail's Crossing Photo, Click for full size
March 3, 2011
3. Site of Old Bridge at Nail's Crossing
 
 
Remains of Hotel Cellar Photo, Click for full size
March 3, 2011
4. Remains of Hotel Cellar
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on March 6, 2011. This page has been viewed 1,018 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 6, 2011, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.
 
Recommend or Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 164 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.