Elizabeth in Union County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Elizabeth Presbyterian Church
This church was organized about 1664. The edifice which stood on this spot was burned by the British, January 25, 1780, during the Pastorate of Rev. James Caldwell, Chaplain in the New Jersey Brigade under Washington.
This building was completed in 1789.
Thirty-six commissioned officers and many non-commissioned officers and privates from the congregation fought during the Revolution for American Independence.
Erected 1898 by Elizabethtown Chapter No. 1 of the New Jersey Society - Sons of the American Revolution.
Marker series. This marker is included in the Sons of the American Revolution marker series.
Location. 40° 39.761′ N, 74° 12.918′ W. Marker is in Elizabeth, New Jersey, in Union County. Marker is on Broad Street (New Jersey Route 623), on the right when traveling south. Click for map. Marker is in this post office area: Elizabeth NJ 07201, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Colonial Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Patriotic Dead (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Borough Court House (within shouting distance of this marker); Revolutionary Cannon First Site of Princeton University (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Old Academy (about 300 feet away); Washington’s Inaugural Bicentennial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Seven Astronauts (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Elizabeth.
Categories. • Churches, Etc. • War, US Revolutionary •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 370 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on , by Bill Coughlin of North Arlington, New Jersey. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.