“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
St. Augustine in Saint Johns County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)

10 Hildreth Drive

ACCORD Freedom Trail

FREEDOM TRAIL Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mrs. Shirley Williams-Galvin, March 5, 2011
Inscription. Fullerwood School was built in 1927 and is the only example in St. Augustine of the work of noted architect A. Ten Eyck Brown (1878-1940), famed for his courthouses, banks, and city halls in New Orleans, Miami and Atlanta. His name is on the cornerstone of the building.

Although there had been racially integrated schools in St. Augustine in colonial times, when the public school system was established here after the Civil War it was done on a segregated basis, with separate schools for whites and blacks. Florida even had a law making it illegal to store the textbooks for white and black schools in the same warehouse.

In 1954, the U. S. Supreme Court ruled in the landmark case of Brown v. Board of Education that racial segregation in public schools had to end. It was not until 1963, however, that Fullerwood and Ketterlinus became the first schools here to desegregate. The children of two black families who lived in the North City area, the Brunsons and the Robersons, were admitted to the formerly all-white Fullerwood School.

Opposition to integration was intense. In January 1964 while Charles Brunson, an employee of the Florida School for the Deaf and the Blind, was attending a PTA meeting here, his car was set on fire. In October 1963, an unsuccessful attempt had been made to firebomb the home of the Roberson
The Fullerwood School image. Click for full size.
By Mrs. Shirley Williams-Galvin, March 5, 2011
2. The Fullerwood School
family. A second attempt in February 1964 succeeded, and today a Freedom Trail marker on Gault Street shows where only the brick steps of the house survive. Bungum Roberson, father of the children who helped break the racial barrier at Fullerwood, was fired from his job at the local Ford dealership in retaliation for his civil rights activities.

Fullerwood closed as an elementary school in the 1980s and later housed St. Johns River Community College and the media center for the county public schools. A teacher training session held here in February 2009 brought many people who had participated in the civil rights movement together to share their experiences with those who will teach future generations.

This Historical Marker Presented this 2nd Day of July, 2009 by Northrop Grumman
Erected 2009 by The 40th Anniversary to Commemorate the Civil Rights Demonstrations, Inc. (ACCORD).
Marker series. This marker is included in the Florida, St. Augustine Freedom Trail marker series.
Location. 29° 55.105′ N, 81° 19.287′ W. Marker is in St. Augustine, Florida, in Saint Johns County. Marker is on Hildreth Drive. Click for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10 Hildreth Drive, Saint Augustine FL 32084, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Chain Gangs (approx. 0.7 miles away); Gault Street (approx. 0.7 miles away); African Origins (approx. mile away); Spreading the Wealth Since 1900 (approx. mile away); The Old St. Johns County Jail (approx. mile away); The 1910 Mary Peck House (approx. mile away); El Pueblo de Gracia Real de Santa Teresa de Mose (approx. mile away); The Francis and Mary Usina Bridge (approx. 0.8 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in St. Augustine.
Categories. African AmericansCivil Rights
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Gwendolyn Duncan of St. Augustine, Florida. This page has been viewed 713 times since then and 76 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on , by Gwendolyn Duncan of St. Augustine, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement