Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Angels Camp in Calaveras County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
 

Claussenís Corner

 
 
Claussenís Corner Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, June 13, 2010
1. Claussenís Corner Marker
Inscription. Built in the early 1850ís, year not documented, by Frank Egan, as the Central Park Hotel. Then, it included a brothel upstairs. The hotel was sold to Mrs. Mitrovich and renamed The Waverly Hotel. Blagoje “Billy” Ratkovich bought the hotel in 1922 and died in 1940. Dorothy Ratkovich Soracco, Billyís daughter, inherited the property. Her husband, Mel Soracco, who had worked in the hotel since 1932, took over the property, closed the hotel and renamed it Melís Central Corner. Later, when renamed Melís Corner, it featured billiards and cards in the back room. Mel retired in 1974. Cecil Hale, owned Melís Corner from 1974 to 1982. Rand and Betty Claussen bought the bar and renamed it Claussenís Corner in 2003. The current owners of the building are brother and sister, Michael Tarbat and Roberta Hoffman, who are directly related to Billy Ratkovich.
 
Erected 2009 by Matuca Chapter 1849 E Clampus Vitus.
 
Marker series. This marker is included in the E Clampus Vitus marker series.
 
Location. 38° 4.177′ N, 120° 32.427′ W. Marker is in Angels Camp, California, in Calaveras County. Marker is at the intersection of Hardscrabble Street and South Main Street (State Highway 49), on the right when
Side View of Claussen's Corner Building and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, June 13, 2010
2. Side View of Claussen's Corner Building and Marker
traveling east on Hardscrabble Street. Click for map. Marker is mounted on the north side of building. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1208 South Main Street, Angels Camp CA 95222, United States of America.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Veterans Memorial Hall (within shouting distance of this marker); A. Brosemer Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Independent Order of Odd Fellows Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Angels Camp (about 500 feet away); Angels Hotel (about 500 feet away); Chinatown (about 600 feet away); Mark Twain (approx. 0.2 miles away); Utica Mine North Shaft (approx. 0.2 miles away). Click for a list of all markers in Angels Camp.
 
Categories. Industry & CommerceNotable Buildings
 
Claussenís Corner image. Click for full size.
By Syd Whittle, June 13, 2010
3. Claussenís Corner
The Historic Chicken Ladder image. Click for full size.
August 25, 2012
4. The Historic Chicken Ladder
The Chicken Ladder on Hardscrabble Street... was constructed [circa 1886] by home owners on the narrow "nearly vertical" street to assist in walking up and down the hazardous slope. Many homes have front entrances on one street and back entrances on the next as Angels Camp is built on hills and honey combed with mine tunnels. Source: Historic Angels Camp Walking Tour
Entrance to the Historic Chicken Ladder image. Click for full size.
August 25, 2012
5. Entrance to the Historic Chicken Ladder
The Chicken Ladder is located on Hardscrabble Street above Claussen's Corner.
 
 
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California. This page has been viewed 967 times since then and 4 times this year. Last updated on , by Rand & Betty Claussen of Angels Camp, California. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on , by Syd Whittle of El Dorado Hills, California.   4, 5. submitted on , by Barry Swackhamer of San Jose, California. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.
Paid Advertisement