Lucknow in Lee County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
A water-powered grist mill stood here as early as 1824, on land owned by William W. Hall, who had acquired the property from John Hall in 1809. William Hall operated the mill until he sold it to Harrison Hall shortly before the Civil War. Hall's Mill, which appears in Robert Mills's 1824 Atlas of South Carolina, was destroyed by a flood in 1928. The present mill was built by C.M. Stokes in 1929.
This mill, built in 1929, was operated by Hall descendant Archie Hopkins when it closed in 1965. The first floor included a general store which served as the center of the Lucknow community for many years, while the second floor was reserved for the Masonic lodge. Hall's Mill, with its original equipment intact, is an excellent early twentieth-century grist mill.
Erected 2000 by The Lee County Historical Society. (Marker Number 31-15.)
Location. 34° 16.623′ N, 80° 22.32′ W. Marker is in Lucknow, South Carolina, in Lee County. Marker is on Camden Road (State Highway 31-21), on the right when traveling west. Click for map. Located between County Roads 41 and 106 at Scape Ore Creek and the Mill Pond. Marker is in this post office area: Bishopville SC 29010, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. Tiller's Ferry (approx. 7 miles away); James Jenkins (approx. 7.6 miles away); Thomas Gordon McLeod (approx. 7.7 miles away); W. Green Deschamps, Jr. Highway (approx. 7.7 miles away); Dennis High School (approx. 7.9 miles away); William Apollos James House (approx. 8.1 miles away); Bishopville (approx. 8.1 miles away); Lee County Monument to the Confederate Dead (approx. 8.1 miles away).
Categories. • Industry & Commerce •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 764 times since then and 98 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10. submitted on , by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.