Windsor Locks in Hartford County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
Incorporated May 30, 1854, the town was formerly Pine Meadow district of Windsor. A Dutch trader, Captain Adriaen Block, came up the Connecticut River in the spring of 1614 as far as Enfield Rapids.
The first three settlers were: Henry Denslow 1663, Nathaniel Gaylord-1678, and Abraham Dibble - 1708.
Seth Dexter founded the Dexter Company in 1767. The first one-horse-drawn wagon in this area was made by David Birge in 1815.
The Windsor Locks Canal was completed in 1829. Charles Dexter was appointed first postmaster in 1833.
The first town officials included Lucius Chapman, Talcott Mather, and Oliver Hayden-Selectmen, and Charles Spencer - Town Clerk. The first town meeting was held July 3, 1854.
(Continued from other side)
Rail transportation was inaugurated in 1844. Trolley service began in 1904. Public buses first operated June 24, 1924. Bradley Field was opened as a military airbase in 1941. Commercial airlines using the facility have served this area since 1947. It is now Bradley International Airport.
Ella T. Grasso of Windsor Locks was elected first woman governor of Connecticut in November, 1974.
Erected May 30, 1976
by the Windor Locks American Revolution
the Windsor Locks Historical Society
and the Connecticut Historical Commission
Erected 1976 by Windor Locks American Revolution Bicentennial Commission, the Windsor Locks Historical Society, and the Connecticut Historical Commission.
Location. 41° 55.904′ N, 72° 37.672′ W. Marker is in Windsor Locks, Connecticut, in Hartford County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (Connecticut Route 159) and Oak Street, on the right when traveling south on Main Street. Click for map. Marker is across the street from the historic Windsor Locks train station. Marker is in this post office area: Windsor Locks CT 06096, United States of America.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Windsor Pilgrims (approx. 4.2 miles away); Old Fort Marker (approx. 4.2 miles away); Bissell's Ferry (approx. 4.5 miles Planted in Memory (approx. 5.2 miles away); East Granby World War Roll of Honor (approx. 5.2 miles away); East Granby Roll of Honor (approx. 5.2 miles away); East Granby (approx. 5.3 miles away); The Warham Mill (approx. 5.3 miles away).
Also see . . .
1. Windsor Locks Preservation Association, Inc. (Submitted on March 13, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
2. Windsor Locks Historical Society's Noden-Reed Museum. (Submitted on March 13, 2011, by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York.)
Categories. • Settlements & Settlers •
Credits. This page originally submitted on , by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. This page has been viewed 1,258 times since then and 118 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on , by Howard C. Ohlhous of Duanesburg, New York. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016.